Latest News

Welcome to the new website of the fabulous, most groovy Brilleaux. As you may notice if you have been here before, we are slowly getting the new website up to date and working out how to drive the thing.

Learning new technology has never been one of my strongpoints, so it is a slow and arduous task, and you should all feel a lttle sorry for my poor Web designer guy Mark Steiner, who put it all together, and offered to teach me how to drive it - I don't think he realised the task he had set himself.

Anyway, suffice to say, that I have the very best intentions of updating this page on a regular basis, failing that, at least every time there is something worth talking about.

I (Graham) had only just returned from 3 weeks in England where I spent some time with the band Dr Feelgood, attending several shows, worked as a roadie, attended a dinner, a historic walk of the sites of importance to the rhythm and blues phenomena centred in Canvey Island, Essex, a private showing of the Julian Temple documentary on Dr Feelgood entitled "Oil City Confidential" and even got to share the stage on a couple of occasions with my idols, not to mention a degree of socialising, cruising up and down motorways in the back of the tour van, Selling merchandise with Baldrick (Pete their roadie), making various contacts and generally having a good time. - I even managed to fit in a Wilko Johnson gig at Walthamstow.

Never one to be shy about making introductions, I duly positioned myself at the tradesmans entrance to the gig, and waited for Mr Johnson to make his appearance. Before too long the said Mr Johnson appeared, and I got to introduce himself, shake the mans hand and make a little small talk before Wilko had to go and get his soundcheck out of the way. Wheile Wilko was doing whatever it is he does to prepare himself for a show, I introduced myself to Norman Watt Roy his incredible bass player.

Before Wilko did his soundcheck, the support band did theirs. The band was called The Bermondsey Joyriders, and the moment the guitarist hit the strings, I new I liked what they were about to do!

Dont ask me why, - maybe it was because the guitarist had 2 Godin Radiators on stage (I recently sold my one)

Maybe it was the resonating discordant crashing of distorted slide guitar, but whatever it was it was doing it for me.

When they finished their soundcheck I purchased their new album.

I liked almost everything about the band except their Tartan trousers!

But that aside, this band obviously had one foot in the punk era, but they were playing blues! - and I loved it.

The drummer was in an early British punk/pub rock band called the Heavy Metal Kids, and the singer sang their original material in a strong Cockney accent.

If you are not a blues purist, or too squeemish, check them out.

Anyway, determined not to miss one note of the wilko gig, I had to sprint to catch the last train to Canvey Island where I was staying with Phil Mitchell, the Dr Feelgood Bass player.

In my rush not to miss the train, I accidentally got on the wrong train and before I knew it was half way to Norwich (wherever the hell that is) - nowher near Canvey Island is all I know, so I had to get off at the next stop, and embark on the most expensive taxi ride of my life!

I had many more adventures which I wont bore yu with now, but needless to say had a very worthwhile trip.
Back on this side of the equator, I was only here a few days beforeit was the Tauranga Jazz Festival week.

Brilleaux's festival started on Thursday 1st April with a gig at the fabulous venue No1 The Strand, Tauranga, where we played to a small crowd of pre-booked guests. Half way through the night we were surprised at the appearance of Mike Jensen - the keyboard player from the band Riverhead Slide. He had seen that we were playing, and had driven down from Auckland to see us! - Good on you Mike - except next time you do that, dont forget to throw your weapons in the car too!

We talking him into playing with us on Saturday, and sent him home to get his gear.

As quite often is the case, these small, intimate gigs without the pressure often turn into most enjoyable gigs, and this one was to be just one of those occasions.

Friday was a rest day, and then our appearance on the number two stage on the Strand.

It was a beautiful day, and the stage was brilliant - nice and spacious - plenty of room to move about and put on a show, which we set about doing.

Mike joined us, and we played a great set - which was just as well as Brian Auger, his son and daughter were standing there when we went on stage, and said they were looking forward to seeing us play! - no pressure!

Martine and Holly and Ange manned our merchandise stall and did a wicked job, and moved a fair bit of merchandise.

Our set finished at 3.15.

At 6.30 I had a gig at Crazy Jacks singing for Shaken Not Stirred, where I got to sing a few Louie Jordan numbers for the first time, and otherwise jammed the night away with Damian, Dean Hunter and the boys, and a most enjoyable night was had by all.

Meanwhile Beano had a gig with Kokomo at No1 The Strand, where they experienced pretty much the same thing we had a couple of nights earlier.

On Monday we played a 45 minute set on the jam stage at the Historic Village in the TECT Theatre, and by all accounts the sound was fantastic I was told by various people that it was a very enjoyable gig, even though we only took it as a jam.

We invited Chris Gunn up to play keyboards with us, and he had a great time.

. . . and that was it - all over for another year.

Next week we have a private party, and then on the 24th the Blues Picnic, which we are really looking forward to.

I am working on a couple of interesting events for early next year, but too early to say anything yet, other than watch this space.

Thanks to everybody who came to our shows over the easter period, purchased cds, and who thanked us in person - it is you people who make it all worthwhile for us.

Thats it for now

Come back again soon.